Welcome to Friday Fitspiration with Paul! Today we are discussing one of the pillars of longevity…
Are you ready to get the best sleep of your life? Get curious about this as we spend one-third of our lives on our backs.
“And 99.99 percent of the time, if someone says that he or she needs
‘less sleep than the average person,’ they’re lying to you or to
themselves – or both.”
In fact, both of these vital things happen when you sleep:
1) The brain cleans up your “mental garbage.”
2) The body repairs itself.
Did you know that sleep deprivation can cause the following?
- Problems with heat and cold regulation
- Immune system doesn’t work as well
- Stress hormones increase
- Blood sugar hormones don’t work right
- Inflammatory hormones increase
…and that is just the short list!!
One of the secrets to longevity is…
Here’s a handy little chart to answer that burning question…
“How much sleep do I really need?”
- Newborns (0-3 months): 14-17 hours
- Infants (4-11 months): 12-15 hours
- Toddlers (1-2 years): 11-14 hours
- Preschoolers (3-5): 10-13 hours
- School-Age Children (6-13): 9-11 hours
- Teenagers (14-17): 8-10 hours
- Young Adults (18-25): 7-9 hours
- Adults (26-64): 7-9 hours
- Older Adults (65+): 7-8 hours
If you’d like to read more on this topic, be sure to check out Ben Greenfield’s article here. He will answer all of your questions and more!). He’s one of my favorite biohackers.
As a bonus, you can sign up for Dr. Mark Hyman’s Master Sleep Course. Check it out! It’s free!!
Want some tips for getting the best sleep of your life? In our Freedom
Portal, I have compiled 50 Ways to improve your sleep, and I’m only
going to share the first five here.
1. Sleep in complete darkness, or as close to it as possible.
2. Keep the temperature in your bedroom no higher than 70 degrees F.
3. Sleep naked.
4. Conquer sound pollution.
5. Eliminate electric and electromagnetic fields (EMFs) in your bedroom.
Interested in learning more? Come join our Freedom Portal for a monthly live zoom with my fiance, Kate Austin, and me, and a monthly Facebook Live in our private Facebook group.