How do you begin your day? When you get out of bed, do you feel sluggish, uninspired, and overwhelmed? You probably have a massive to-do list, and more than likely, you spend your time in those first few minutes after you wake up scrolling your social media, watching the news, responding to emails…in other words, you are reacting to your environment and being primed by everything you hear, see, taste, touch, smell…and it can cause you to feel like no matter what you do, you cannot be successful.
I want to introduce you to a practice that is one of my all-time favorites that will set you up in a powerful way every morning. It’s called priming. “One way to define priming is the act of taking time to adjust your thoughts and emotions so you can live your life in your peak state” (Tony Robbins).
The 8 Steps For Your 10-Minute Priming
- SIT: Find a chair in a relatively quiet area and sit actively. We mean both feet on the floor, shoulders back, chest up, neck long, and head high.
- BREATH: By changing your breath, you change your state of being.
Tony’s own method is to do a breathing exercise with three sets of 30 breaths each with a pause in between each set.
- Begin heart breathing: Put your hands on your heart. Feel its power and strength as you breathe into it.
- Practice gratitude: Think of three things you’re really grateful for right now. They can be from your past, your present, or your future.
- When you think of the first thing, create as clear an image of that moment as possible, stepping into it with your mind. After about a minute, go to the next thing, then the next.
- Make one of these things simple, like a child’s smile or someone saying “thank you” who really meant it.
- Visualize: Now comes the part that’s like a blessing or a prayer. Tony imagines colored light coming down and filling his body, healing anything — body, thoughts, feelings — that needs to be healed.
- Imagine that any problem in your life is being solved. Ask for the best parts of you to be strengthened.
1 MINUTE, 30 SECONDS:
- Share: Now send all the energy you’ve gotten through your healing and strengthening out to the people you love.
- Feel the energy going up and down, pouring out to your family, loved ones, colleagues, clients, friends, even strangers you’ve only met once.
1 MINUTE, 30 SECONDS:
- Focus and celebrate: Now think about the three outcomes or goals that you want the most.
- These are things that will excite you once they’re complete. Now feel like they’re done.
- Celebrate that feeling of completion and victory, visualize how it will impact those around you.
- As with gratitude, go through each outcome one by one, fully experiencing the feeling of success.
- Get ready to rock: Now give your body a little stretch and go tackle the world.
This practice was developed by Tony Robbins, and I am going to share with you his version as well as my own. I would love for you to give this a try for at least a week and let me know in the comments what your experience was. Feel free to use either of these videos or create your own practice based on the steps I shared.
See you tonight on YouTube 5:30 PM PT for some live music.